Make-Ahead Low-Country Shrimp Boil
The day before:
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact (if desired). Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Place in a resealable plastic bag; seal bag and chill overnight. In a storage container combine melted butter and, if desired, herbs; cover and chill overnight. Allow frozen onions to thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Tote shrimp, butter mixture, onions, sausage, and corn in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, in a turkey fryer with a removable basket combine the water, Old Bay seasoning, and cayenne pepper. Cover and bring to boiling. Meanwhile, cut potatoes in half. Once water is boiling, add potatoes, onions, sausage, and corn to basket and lower into boiling water. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes and corn are tender. Add shrimp. Cook, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes more or until shrimp are opaque.
- Lift basket from fryer and allow mixture to drain. Transfer shrimp mixture to an extra-large bowl or a disposable foil roasting pan. Pour butter mixture over shrimp mixture; toss gently to coat. If desired, serve with cocktail sauce and hot pepper sauce. Provide moist towelettes when serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Turkey fryer with a removable basket
Cutting board and sharp knife
Extra-large bowl or disposable foil roasting pan
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Low-Country Shrimp Boil)
- Per serving:
- 534 kcal ,
- 32 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 205 mg chol. ,
- 1133 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.