- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut each tortilla into eight wedges. Place tortilla wedges in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Coat wedges with cooking spray. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until wedges are crisp and golden brown on edges. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, in a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until combined. Whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, paprika, and turmeric. Cook and stir over medium heat until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Reduce heat to low. Hold cheese sauce over low heat until needed, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add meat; cook until browned, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Stir the water and Homemade Taco Seasoning into meat in skillet. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes more or until most of the water has evaporated.
- To serve, arrange tortilla wedges on a serving plate. Top with meat mixture, cheese sauce, tomato, sweet pepper, green onions, and, if desired, chile pepper. Serve with salsa and cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- In a small bowl stir together all ingredients.
Nutrition Facts (Loaded Nachos)
- Per serving:
- 291 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 356 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 24 g pro.