- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the 2 teaspoons lime peel, the lime juice, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the macadamia nuts. Divide dough in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough at a time until 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2 1/2- to 3-inch doughnut cutter or other desired-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer plain cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Decorate as directed.
Knead green food coloring into dough (for the pictured lime color, knead one drop each of green and yellow gel food coloring into dough). Roll out as directed. Using a small tree-shape or triangle-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. For each wreath, overlap 6 to 7 tree shapes to create a wreath shape. When cool, use a sieve to dust cookies with powdered sugar. Use frosting to attach small red candies to cookies.
Spread each wreath cookie with melted chocolate or Powdered Sugar Icing; press pistachios into chocolate to adhere. If desired, use a small paintbrush to dust pistachios lightly with gold luster dust (available at hobby stores, such as Michael's).
Spread wreath cookies with green-tinted glaze-consistency Royal Icing or Powdered Sugar Icing. Let stand until dry. Add dollops of icing that is thicker consistency and tinted a darker green. Dab your finger in the thicker icing to give it texture. Sprinkle with green colored sugar. If desired, roll out a red gumdrop and use a very small bird-shape cutter to cut out shapes. Attach with icing.
Nutrition Facts (Lime Wreaths)
- Per serving:
- 109 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 46 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.