Lime-Green Chile Pork Tortas with Freezer Guacamole
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 2-inch pieces; set aside. In a large resealable freezer bag or airtight container combine poblano peppers, broth, lime peel, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, the jalapeno pepper, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, and black pepper. Add meat to mixture in bag. Seal and freeze for up to 1 month.
- For guacamole, in a medium bowl combine the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, mashed avocados, green onion, cilantro, dash salt, and, if desired, hot pepper sauce to taste. Transfer mixture to a 1-quart resealable freezer bag. Squeeze air from bag; seal and freeze for up to 1 month.
- To serve, thaw meat mixture and guacamole in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer meat mixture to a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and peppers from cooker. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Toss shredded meat and peppers with enough of the cooking liquid to moisten (discard the remaining cooking liquid). Serve meat mixture in bolillo rolls with guacamole and, if desired, radishes.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Lime-Green Chile Pork Tortas with Freezer Guacamole )
- Per serving:
- 320 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 68 mg chol. ,
- 629 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.