Lentil Veggie Burgers
- In a medium saucepan combine lentils and 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until very soft. Drain any excess water.
- Meanwhile, coat a very large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Cook mushrooms, sweet potato, and garlic in skillet over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until sweet potato is tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool slightly. In a food processor combine the sweet potato mixture, 1 cup of the lentils, arugula and soy sauce. Cover and process with several on/off turns until mixture is nearly smooth. Stir processed mixture into the remaining cooked lentils until combined (mixture will be soft).
- Shape lentil mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties and sprinkle both sides with with cornmeal. In the same skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add patties to skillet and cook for 10 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F when inserted near the center of the burgers, turning patties once.
From the Test Kitchen
Or, omit step 1 and use 2 cups purchased cooked refrigerated lentils.
Whole wheat pita rounds, red pepper jelly, mixed baby greens and sauteed sliced sweet miniature peppers.
Nutrition Facts (Lentil Veggie Burgers)
- Per serving:
- 262 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 301 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 13 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 13 g pro.
lee9072 277 Days Ago
This was so good. I put my burger on a whole grain English muffin & added a piece of avocado to it. Loved it Thanks 4 sharing it.
Judi Abbott 558 Days Ago
I use garbanzos. and don't process them too much.
Jason 588 Days Ago
Not only was the taste disappointing, but the patties were hard to handle once shaped (very loose) and were difficult to turn in the pan. Naturally, they were continued to be mushy even once they were browned in the pan. They lack texture -- something the photography failed to convey (they look very tasty!). Maybe it's the overly-earthy combination of flavors (mushrooms and lentils), but -- without a kick of bold seasoning from the ingredients list -- these kinda tasted like dirt.