Lentil and Veggie Shepherd's Pie
- In a large saucepan combine broth, the water, lentils, and minced garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add carrots, parsnips, and onions. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes more or just until vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in chard; remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and the 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, in a covered large saucepan cook potatoes and whole garlic cloves in enough boiling lightly salted water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Add butter. Gradually beat in enough of the milk to make potatoes light and fluffy. Fold in cheese and the 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil.
- Spread lentil mixture in a 2- to 2 1/2-quart casserole or au gratin dish. Spoon potato mixture over lentil mixture, spreading evenly.
- Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes or until heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Cover baking dish with plastic wrap; store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove plastic wrap. Cover dish with foil. Bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Lentil and Veggie Shepherd's Pie)
- Per serving:
- 234 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 386 mg sodium ,
- 41 g carb. ,
- 13 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 12 g pro.