Lemony Squash and Provolone Dinner Toast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl toss squash with lemon-pepper seasoning. Transfer to a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and let stand 15 minutes. Discard the liquid. Squeeze squash as dry as possible.
- Meanwhile, arrange the bread on a baking sheet. Brush tops with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Toast for 10 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges, turning once. Remove from oven. Preheat broiler.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook and stir for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in squash and the lemon thyme and cook 3 minutes more or until softened. Remove from heat and stir in lemon peel.
- Spread bread slices with mayonnaise. Top each with a slice of cheese. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- Divide the squash mixture among the bread slices. Broil 1 to 2 minutes more or until heated through. Serve warm garnished with additional thyme.
Test Kitchen Tip
When shopping for squash, look for firm, smooth, unblemished squash. For yellow squash, choose smaller ones - the large ones have a lot more seeds.
Nutrition Facts (Lemony Squash and Provolone Dinner Toast)
- Per serving:
- 285 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 520 mg sodium ,
- 27 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.