Lemony Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Parmesan Cheese
- Trim stems and remove any wilted outer leaves from Brussels sprouts; wash. Cut Brussels sprouts into quarters lengthwise.
- In a Dutch oven bring a large amount of salted water to boiling. Carefully add Brussels sprouts; cook for 6 to 8 minutes or just until tender (centers should still be slightly firm). Drain; spread out in a shallow baking pan.
- In a 12-inch skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the pancetta to skillet and cook until crisp; remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining pancetta. Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the mushrooms, onion, and garlic to skillet. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until liquid from mushrooms is almost all evaporated.
- Add Brussels sprouts, butter, salt, and pepper to skillet. Cook and stir about 6 minutes or until heated through. Add lemon juice; stir to coat. Transfer Brussels spouts to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with cheese; top with pancetta.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, omit pancetta and the 1 tablespoon oil used to cook the pancetta. Substitute four slices of chopped bacon. Cook bacon until crisp. Discard drippings.
Prepare as directed through Step 2, except place Brussels sprouts in a colander following cooking. Run cold water over Brussels sprouts to chill and stop cooking; drain. Place in an airtight container to contain the odor. Seal; chill for up to 24 hours. Slice mushrooms, onion, and garlic as directed; place in an airtight container. Seal; chill for up to 24 hours. Juice the lemon; cover and chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, continue as directed in Steps 3 and 4, cooking and stirring Brussels sprouts about 10 minutes in Step 4.
Nutrition Facts (Lemony Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Parmesan Cheese)
- Per serving:
- 136 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 17 mg chol. ,
- 370 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.