Lemon-Poppy Seed Quick Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk, oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, and poppy seeds. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight.
From the Test Kitchen
Tangerine Poppy Seed Quick Bread:
Prepare as directed, except substitute finely shredded tangerine or orange peel for the lemon peel and tangerine juice for the lemon juice. After removing loaf from pan, poke holes in the top of the warm loaf with a fork; slowly brush with tangerine glaze. For tangerine glaze, in a small saucepan combine 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons tangerine juice, and 1 tablespoon butter. Heat and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Nutrition Analysis: 162 calories, 3 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 2% vitamin A, 4% vitamin C, 119 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 4% iron.
Lemon-Cardamom Quick Bread:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom for the poppy seeds. Spread cooled loaf with lemon glaze. For lemon glaze, in a medium bowl whisk together 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel, 4 teaspoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons light-color corn syrup, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.Nutrition Analysis: 187 calories, 3 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 1% vitamin A, 4% vitamin C, 114 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 4% iron.
Green Tea Lemon Poppy Seed Bread:
Prepare as directed, except stir in 1 tablespoon ground loose green tea leaves with the poppy seeds.Nutrition Analysis: 149 calories, 3 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 1% vitamin A, 2% vitamin C, 114 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 4% iron.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Poppy Seed Quick Bread)
- Per serving:
- 148 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 114 mg sodium ,
- 25 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.