- Line a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Butter foil; sprinkle with a small amount of cornstarch. Set pan aside.
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan add sugar, corn syrup and water. Stir once just to moisten the sugar. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Place over medium heat and bring to boiling without stirring. Continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate until thermometer registers 295 degrees F, hard-crack stage (35 to 40 minutes). Adjust heat as necessary to maintain a steady boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Remove thermometer. In a large bowl* beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gradually pour hot mixture in a thin stream over egg whites, beating with the electric mixer on medium to high speed. (Add mixture slowly without stopping to ensure proper blending, do not scrape down the sides.)
- Add vanilla. Continue beating on high speed until candy becomes very thick and less glossy (5 to 6 minutes). When beaters are lifted, mixture should fall in a ribbon, mound on itself, then slowly disappear into the remaining mixture.
- Immediately stir in lemon peel and pistachio nuts. Coat a rubber spatula with nonstick spray. Use the spatula to quickly spoon nougat mixture into the prepared pan. When nougat is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan. Place on cutting board. Coat a knife with nonstick spray. Cut into 2 1/2x3/4-inch pieces. Lightly coat pieces in powdered sugar. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
From the Test Kitchen
Use a bowl with a rubberized bottom or place a damp kitchen towel or paper towel under your mixing bowl to keep it in place so your hands are free to beat the egg white mixture and drizzle in the candy mixture at the same time.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Pistachio Nougat)
- Per serving:
- 121 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 1 mg chol. ,
- 18 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 25 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.