Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Generously brush a 10-inch cast iron skillet or a 9-inch cake pan with the butter; set aside.
- In a food processor combine the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and almonds. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until mixture is fine. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in flour, lemon peel, baking powder, and salt until combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, buttermilk, olive oil, 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, and the almond extract. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring just until combined. Pour batter into prepared skillet, spreading evenly.
- Bake 25 minutes (bake 30 minutes if using a cake pan) or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in skillet on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine fruit, the remaining 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- If desired, dust cake with powdered sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature with fruit mixture.
From the Test Kitchen
For fresh fruit, toss together Cara Cara or blood oranges, peeled and sectioned; fresh berries; pitted cherries; sliced peeled peaches; sliced nectarines; and/or sliced plums.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon Olive Oil Cake)
- Per serving:
- 350 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 75 mg chol. ,
- 401 mg sodium ,
- 49 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 22 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.