Lemon Loaf with Berries and Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan. Line the pan with parchment paper; set aside. Finely shred zest from 1 lemon. Cut zest from one of the remaining lemons into thin strips; set aside. Juice the lemons (you should have about 9 tablespoons). In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, extract, finely shredded zest, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add the oats, flour, 1/2 cup organic cane sugar, 1/3 cup turbinado sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Stir gently to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle top with additional turbinado sugar. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine remaining lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove bread from pan. Place on a wire rack set over a shallow baking pan. Gently poke top of bread all over with a skewer. Stir lemon peel strips into half of the syrup; spoon over bread. Cool bread completely.
- Return remaining syrup to heat; bring just to boiling. Stir in berries coat. Simmer 1 to 2 minutes until the berries just start to soften. Slice loaf gently with a serrated knife. Serve lemon bread with berries and whipped cream.
From the Test Kitchen
To coarsely grind oats, place in a blender or food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.
If desired, you can substitute 3/4 cup granulated sugar for the 1/2 cup organic cane sugar and 1/3 cup turbinado sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar for the 1/4 cup organic cane sugar.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon Loaf with Berries and Cream)
- Per serving:
- 369 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 48 mg chol. ,
- 171 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 27 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.