Lemon-Lavender Cookie Sandwiches
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, crushed lavender buds, shredded lemon peel, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into a 10-inch roll. Wrap roll in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for 2 to 24 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut roll into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl combine 1/4 cup butter and 1 tablespoon milk. Using a wooden spoon, beat in 1 cup powdered sugar until smooth. If necessary, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach spreading consistency.
- Spread cookies with frosting. If desired, top with additional lavender buds and lemon peel strips.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze unfrosted cookies for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies if frozen. Frost as directed.
Make it a Gift:
Roll a 12-inch length of corrugated cardboard to create approximately a 3-inch-diameter tube, allow for a 1/2 inch of overlap. Cut cork drink coasters to fit each end and hot-glue in place. Line interior with tissue paper, then nestle a stack of cookies in the tube. Wrap ribbon around cookie tube and insert a real or artificial berry stem.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Lavender Cookie Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 91 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 62 mg sodium ,
- 11 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.