Lemon-Cream Icebox Cookie Sandwiches
- In a large bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the lemon peel.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 10-inch roll. Wrap each roll in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for 1 to 3 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool.
- Spread Lemon Cream Frosting or lemon curd on the bottom sides of half of the cookies, using about 1 tablespoon Lemon Cream Frosting or 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon curd per cookie. Top with remaining cookies, bottom sides down, to make sandwiches.
- If desired, roll edges of sandwich cookies in crushed candy.
From the Test Kitchen
Place sandwich cookies in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Lemon Cream Frosting
- In a large bowl beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until combined. Stir in lemon peel.
Nutrition Facts (Lemon-Cream Icebox Cookie Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 196 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 82 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.