Yellow Cake with Chocolate Butter Frosting
- Let butter and eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Grease, lightly flour and line bottoms of two 9x1 1/2-inch or 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pans with waxed paper; set the pan(s) aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at time, beating on medium speed and scraping sides of bowl until well combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan(s). Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes for 9-inch pans, 30 to 35 minutes for 8-inch pans or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the centers comes out clean. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans; remove waxed paper and cool thoroughly on racks. Frost with Chocolate Butter Frosting. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Chocolate Butter Frosting
- In a very large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in cocoa powder. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in an additional 6 cups powdered sugar. Beat in additional milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to reach spreading consistency. Makes enough to frost tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch layers.
Nutrition Facts (Yellow Cake with Chocolate Butter Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 336 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 333 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 29 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.
BHGTestKitchen 1152 Days Ago
Hi, I'm Colleen from the Better Homes and Gardens Test Kitchen staff. Yes, 2 teaspoons is correct. I will go ahead and get that updated. Thanks, and enjoy!
Carolyn Lehmkuhl 1158 Days Ago
I'm assuming there are 2 TEASPOONS of vanilla in the frosting. The recipe just says "2 vanilla."