Six-Layer Strawberry Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat three 8x2-inch round cake pans with cooking spray. Line bottoms with waxed paper; coat waxed paper with cooking spray. Set pans aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In an extra-large bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add 1-1/2 cups of the granulated sugar, beating about 2 minutes or until well combined. Beat in liqueur, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 10 drops food coloring. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to sugar mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Fold in 2/3 cup of the chopped strawberries.
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In a large bowl combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold about one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into cake batter to lighten. Fold in remaining beaten egg whites. Pour batter into prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes. Remove from pans; remove waxed paper. Cool completely on racks.
- For white frosting, in an extra-large bowl combine 1 package of the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of the butter. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Beat in 2 tablespoons of the milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon extract. Gradually add 2 pounds of the powdered sugar, beating well.
- For pink frosting, in another extra-large bowl repeat Step 5 using remaining cream cheese, butter, milk, vanilla, lemon extract, and powdered sugar, except add 8 drops food coloring with the milk. Fold in remaining 1/3 cup chopped strawberries.
- To assemble, use a long serrated knife to cut cake layers in half horizontally. Place one cake layer, cut side up, on a serving plate. Spread with 1 cup of the pink frosting. Place another cake layer, cut side down, on top of frosting. Spread with another 1 cup of the pink frosting. Repeat with three more cake layers and the remaining pink frosting. Top with the final cake layer, cut side down. Insert three or four long wooden skewers vertically into cake so layers do not slide. Loosely wrap with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Frost side of cake with about 3 cups of the white frosting. If desired, lightly press coconut into frosting. Remove skewers. Frost top of cake with the remaining white frosting. Garnish with additional strawberries and chocolate curls, if desired. Chill for 1 hour before serving. While still cold, cut cake.*
From the Test Kitchen
To make cutting the cake easier, cut cake into 10 wedges, then cut each wedge in half to make two 3-layer pieces. Or, place a small saucepan lid in center of the top of the cake. Using a long knife, cut around lid; remove lid. Cut outer circle of cake into 10 wedges, then cut inner circle into 10 wedges.
Nutrition Facts (Six-Layer Strawberry Cake)
- Per serving:
- 768 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 253 mg sodium ,
- 127 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.