- Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside. Beat butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well mixed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add dry mixture and milk alternately to sugar mixture, beating after each addition (batter may appear curdled). Spread batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden toothpicks inserted in the centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally. Stir the jam. To assemble, spread one cake layer with one-third of the Almond Filling, then with 2 rounded tablespoons of jam. Repeat layering with the cake layers, Almond Filling, and jam two more times. Top with final cake layer. Spread Whipped Cream Frosting over cake. Cover cake tightly and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- To serve, garnish with sliced almonds and fresh raspberries, if desired. Makes 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 12 hours ahead, make, bake, and assemble cake. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Whipped Cream Frosting
- Combine water and gelatin in a 1-cup glass measuring cup. Place cup in a saucepan of boiling water. Cook and stir about 1 minute or until gelatin is completely dissolved. Beat whipping cream and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed while gradually drizzling gelatin over cream mixture. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Crumble almond paste in a mixing bowl. Add butter or margarine; beat with an electric mixer on low speed. Add amaretto or milk and milk; beat until smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Raspberry-Almond Torte)
- Per serving:
- 364 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 94 mg chol. ,
- 203 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.