Pink Geranium Cake
- Rinse leaves. Wrap six leaves around each stick of (1 cup) butter; wrap with clear plastic wrap and chill overnight. Remove leaves from butter; rinse leaves and set aside.
- Beat butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, two at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine 3/4 cup milk and water. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until smooth after each addition. Beat in 4 drops of food coloring. Grease and flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Arrange six of the leaves in the bottom of each pan; spoon in butter.
- Bake in 300 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Gently remove leaves; discard.
- Meanwhile, for the Butter Frosting, beat 6 tablespoons butter (no substitutes) in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 2-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar. Beat in 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. Beat in about 2 cups more soften powdered sugar. Add a 2 to 4 drops food coloring, if desired. Make an additional recipe of frosting, if necessary, to have enough for piping on cake top.
- Fill and frost with Butter Frosting. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If you are not able to purchase geranium leaves, flavor the cake with 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
Nutrition Facts (Pink Geranium Cake)
- Per serving:
- 560 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 58 mg chol. ,
- 373 mg sodium ,
- 90 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.