Persimmon Streusel Cake
- If using Hachiya persimmons, cut in half and scoop out pulp, discarding skin and seeds. Mash with fork until smooth (you should have about 1 to 1-1/4 cups of puree). For Fuyu persimmons, rinse skin, then discard stem ends and seeds. Slice into 1/2-inch-thick slices (you should have about 2 cups).
- Combine the prepared persimmon, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pumpkin pie spice. Set aside. Grease bottom and about 1/2 inch up sides of an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a small bowl combine the 1-1/2 cups flour and the baking powder; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the 1/3 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add 2/3 cup of the remaining sugar. Beat until well combined. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to beaten egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until smooth.
- Spread about three-fourths of the batter into the prepared pan. Gently spoon the persimmon mixture evenly over the batter. Using a spoon, drop remaining batter into small mounds on top of the filling, forming a diagonal pattern, if desired.
- Combine the 1/4 cup flour, the remaining sugar, and the remaining pumpkin pie spice. Cut in the 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree F for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into squares to serve. Serve warm with dollops of whipped cream and chopped persimmon, if desired. Garnish with fresh mint leaves, if desired. Makes 9 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Make and bake coffee cake as directed; cool completely. Place coffee cake in an airtight container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Before serving, wrap coffee cake in foil and bake in a 300 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until warm.
Nutrition Facts (Persimmon Streusel Cake)
- Per serving:
- 309 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 50 mg chol. ,
- 182 mg sodium ,
- 52 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.