- Prepare and cool the Lemon Filling. Grease and lightly flour three 8x1-1/2-inch round baking pans. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixer bowl beat butter or margarine and shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to beaten mixture, beating after each addition until blended. Gently fold in egg whites by hand.
- To make the 6 cake layers, transfer a generous 3/4 cup of batter into each prepared pan, spreading evenly over the bottom of pan. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until cakes test done. Cool 5 minutes in pans. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
- Wash, grease, and flour pans. Spoon the remaining batter into the 3 pans. Bake and cool as directed above.
- To assemble, place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread a scant 1/2 cup Lemon Filling evenly atop. Repeat with 4 more layers and filling. Top with final layer. Cover and chill thoroughly. Spread Lemon Icing over top and sides of cake. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Before serving, sprinkle top with shredded lemon peel, if desired. Makes 16 servings.
- Lemon Filling: In a saucepan combine 1-1/4 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, and dash salt. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cold water. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter or margarine and 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel. Gradually stir in 1/3 cup lemon juice. Mix well. Cover surface with clear plastic wrap. Cool the mixture to room temperature without stirring. Stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into 3 beaten egg yolks. Return mixture to saucepan. Bring mixture to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- In a mixer bowl beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add finely shredded lemon peel and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, all-purpose flour, and dash salt. Stir in cold water. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Stir in butter or margarine and finely shredded lemon peel. Gradually stir in lemon juice. Mix well. Cover surface with clear plastic wrap. Cool the mixture to room temperature without stirring. Stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks. Return mixture to saucepan. Bring mixture to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Nutrition Facts (Doberge Cake)
- Per serving:
- 423 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 107 mg chol. ,
- 200 mg sodium ,
- 69 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.
dawnbstar49272152187 511 Days Ago
Doberge should be at least 12 layer. AT LEAST. 12 or more very thin layers. This is amateur.
Penny Showalter 859 Days Ago
Directions for making the lemon filling are not in right order. You can't temper the egg yolks after letting mixture come to room temperature. Temper egg yolks, incorporating them into hot mixture.. Boil gently for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat. Then add butter, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and cool to room temperature.