Date and Spice Cake
- Let eggs and butter stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In small bowl combine dates and boiling water to cover. Let stand 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. In bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices; set aside.
- In 4-quart bowl beat butter on medium to high speed 30 seconds. Beat in sugars and vanilla until combined. Add eggs one at a time, beating 1 minute after each. In bowl stir together half-and-half and molasses. Alternately add flour mixture and molasses mixture to egg mixture; beat on low after each until combined (may appear curdled). Stir in dates. Spread batter in prepared pans.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely.
- Prepare Sour Cream Frosting. Place one layer flat side up on plate; spread 2/3 cup frosting. Stack second layer flat side up; spread remaining frosting. Cover and refrigerate. Serve with ice cream lightly dusted with cinnamon or nutmeg. Makes 12 servings.
Sour Cream Frosting
- Beat together sour cream, whipping cream, powdered sugar, and almond extract on medium until thick and nearly holds stiff peaks. Makes about 3 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Date and Spice Cake)
- Per serving:
- 517 kcal ,
- 26 g fat
- (16 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 125 mg chol. ,
- 250 mg sodium ,
- 67 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 41 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
Michelle Mae Souza 1840 Days Ago
Saved this for years in a magazine then moved and lost it glad to find it here, it's marvelous with coffee.