Celebration Coconut Cake
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans; set aside. In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture; beat on low to medium speed just until combined.
- In a small saucepan combine milk and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in vanilla. Add warm milk mixture to egg mixture; beat until combined. Pour batter into prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on racks.
- Wash and dry pans. Repeat the process to make two more cake layers. Be sure to cover the first layers while you bake remaining layers to keep cake moist.
- To assemble, turn three cake layers bottom side up. Spread each layer with about 3/4 cup Creamy Rich Frosting and sprinkle with 1/4 cup flaked coconut. Stack layers on a serving plate. Place remaining cake layer, rounded side up, on top. Frost top and side of cake with remaining frosting. Garnish with coconut curls.
From the Test Kitchen
To make fresh coconut curls, separate coconut meat from the shell in large pieces. Thinly slice with a vegetable peeler. Arrange slices on a baking sheet. Bake in the 350 degrees F oven for 2 to 3 minutes or just until edges start to brown and coconut is dry; cool.
Creamy Rich Frosting
- In a large bowl combine sour cream, whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture is thickened and soft peaks form (tips curl). Makes about 6 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Celebration Coconut Cake)
- Per serving:
- 554 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 148 mg chol. ,
- 229 mg sodium ,
- 69 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 50 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.