- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a small saucepan combine 3/4 cup whipping cream, 2 tablespoons honey, and lavender. Warm over medium heat until it begins to steam, about 10 minutes. Chill about 30 minutes or until cooled completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
- Whisk egg into cooled cream mixture. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Pat dough into a 10x4-inch rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise and in sixths crosswise to make 12 rectangles.
- Place rectangles 2 inches apart on an parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush rectangles with additional whipping cream. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove scones from baking sheet. Drizzle with additional honey, if desired. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Dried lavender buds steeped in warm cream impart a delightful floral quality without overpowering. Let the cream cool completely before adding it to the flour mixture to keep it from melting the cut-in butter.
Nutrition Facts (Lavender-Honey Scones)
- Per serving:
- 224 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 55 mg chol. ,
- 181 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.
Giovanna Minardi 799 Days Ago
Followed this recipe and they turned out awful. So very dry. Something is out of balance in this. They tasted like raw flour and baking soda. Bummer.