Recipes and Cooking Kirschtorte Cookies By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on January 10, 2014 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 40 mins Stand Time: 15 mins Bake Time: 8 mins Total Time: 40 mins Servings: 36 Yield: 42 cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 ½ cup dried tart cherries, halved 3 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy) or frozen cherry juice blend concentrate, thawed ½ cup butter, softened 1 cup packed brown sugar ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled 1 8 ounce carton sour cream 2 cup all-purpose flour 1 recipe Chocolate Cherry Buttercream Chocolate Cherry Buttercream ¼ cup butter, softened 1 cup powdered sugar ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder 2 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy) or frozen cherry juice blend concentrate, thawed 1 tablespoon milk 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 cup powdered sugar Directions In a small saucepan combine cherries and 3 tablespoons kirsch. Heat just until bubbles begin to form; remove from heat. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Add melted chocolate; beat until combined. Beat in sour cream. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. If necessary, drain cherries. Stir cherries into dough. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Frost cooled cookies with Chocolate Cherry Buttercream. Chocolate Cherry Buttercream In a large mixing bowl beat 1/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add the 1 cup powdered sugar and cocoa powder, beating well. Slowly beat in kirsch, milk, and vanilla. Gradually beat in enough of the remaining powdered sugar to make frosting spreading consistency. To Store: Place cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 137 Calories 5g Fat 22g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 36 Calories 137 % Daily Value * Total Fat 5g 6% Saturated Fat 3g 15% Cholesterol 16mg 5% Sodium 68mg 3% Total Carbohydrate 22g 8% Total Sugars 15g Protein 1g Calcium 10.1mg 1% Iron 0.7mg 4% Potassium 102mg 2% Folate, total 12.1mcg Vitamin B-12 0.1mcg Vitamin B-6 0mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.