- Remove any wilted outer leaves from the cabbage. Core and chop cabbage into 2-inch pieces (12 cups pieces). Toss cabbage with the 3 tablespoons kosher salt; place in a large colander set over a bowl. Let stand for 2 to 3 hours or until wilted.
- In a large clean bowl combine daikon, carrot, green onions, fish sauce, Korean chili powder or Asian chili sauce, ginger, garlic, and sugar.*
- Rinse cabbage and drain well. Add cabbage to daikon mixture; toss to combine. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Transfer cabbage mixture to a large ceramic crock, glass container, or plastic food container. Using a clean, heavy plate that fits just inside the container, press plate down on cabbage mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 2 to 24 hours (5 to 24 hours if fermenting in the refrigerator), tossing cabbage and pressing plate down on cabbage every hour or until enough liquid is released to cover cabbage by at least 1 inch. (If the cabbage does not release enough liquid, add enough brine to cover the cabbage by at least 1 inch. To make brine, combine water and kosher salt in a ratio of 1 cup water to 1 teaspoon kosher salt.)
- Place a large resealable plastic bag filled with the 1 quart water plus the 4 teaspoons kosher salt over the plate to weight it down. Cover container with a clean dishcloth or loose-fitting lid.
- To ferment at room temperature, set container in a cool place out of direct sunlight; let stand for 2 to 3 days. To ferment in the refrigerator, chill for 3 to 6 days or until the mixture bubbles; this shows that fermentation is taking place.
- Transfer the kimchi to clean jars or airtight containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
From the Test Kitchen
To avoid burning your eyes and hands from the chili powder and to keep the mixture very clean to prevent contamination, wear rubber gloves when handling the ingredients or wash your hands very well with warm water and soap both before and after preparation.
Nutrition Facts (Kimchi)
- Per serving:
- 15 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 561 mg sodium ,
- 3 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.