Kale Caesar Salad
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. For croutons, mince 2 of the garlic cloves. In a large saucepan warm 1/4 cup of the oil and the minced garlic over low heat for 5 minutes; remove. Add bread pieces. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to coat. Spread bread pieces in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Cool completely; croutons will crisp up as they cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 24 hours.
- For dressing, in a blender or small food processor combine remaining 6 garlic cloves and 1/2 cup oil, anchovy fillets, lemon juice, mustard, and hard-cooked egg yolks. Cover and blend or process until smooth. (Or, use an immersion blender.) Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be chilled up to 24 hours; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before using.)
- Place kale in a very large bowl; add dressing. Using your hands, work dressing into kale for 15 seconds. Let stand for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours (or cover and chill up to 24 hours). To serve sprinkle with cheese and top with chopped egg whites and croutons.
From the Test Kitchen
Chop the hard-cooked egg whites and add them to the salad for an extra protein punch.
Chicken Kale Caesar Salad
Prepare as directed except replace Parmigianno Reggiano with Asiago cheese. Top with 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and sliced, and 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 609 calories, 41 g protein, 35 g carbohydrate, 37 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 142 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 7 g total sugar, 412% Vitamin A, 431% Vitamin C, 537 mg sodium, 41% calcium, 30% iron
Salmon Kale Caesar Salad
Prepare as directed except omit cheese. Top with 4 skinless, boneless salmon fillets (1 1/2 pounds total), cooked and broken into chunks, 1/3 cup drained capers, and 1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 610 calories, 36 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 38 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 128 mg cholesterol, 9 g fiber, 7 g total sugar, 404% Vitamin A, 424% Vitamin C, 636 mg sodium, 36% calcium, 30% iron
Fennel and Pistachio Kale Caesar Salad
Prepare as directed. Top with 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored, and thinly sliced, and 1/2 cup roasted, salted pistachios, chopped.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 528 calories, 17 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 37 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 10 g fiber, 8 g total sugar, 412% Vitamin A, 429% Vitamin C, 551 mg sodium, 40% calcium, 28% iron
Nutrition Facts (Kale Caesar Salad)
- Per serving:
- 456 kcal ,
- 33 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 21 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 70 mg chol. ,
- 485 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 8 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 15 g pro.