Kale and Mushroom Paella
- In a small bowl combine saffron and 1/4 cup hot water; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 15-inch paella pan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add kale; season lightly with kosher salt and pepper. Cook, turning occasionally, 5 minutes or until slightly wilted. Transfer to a plate. Add remaining oil, onion, and garlic to pan. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and paprika. Cook and stir 5 minutes more or until a thickened and almost pastelike.
- Add broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to boiling over high heat. Add rice, mushrooms, and poblano, stirring to evenly distribute. Cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 10 to 12 minutes. (If your pan is bigger than your burner, rotate it every few minutes to ensure the rice cooks evenly.) Reduce heat to low; add reserved kale. Cook, without stirring, 5 to 10 minutes more until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is al dente. Turn heat to high. Cook, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes more (edges should look dry and a crust should form on the bottom). Remove from heat. Cover pan with foil. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Top with eggs, if desired, and sprinkle with pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
To grate tomatoes, core and cut tomatoes in half. Grate on the coarse holes of a box grater into a shallow dish. Discard skins.
For Fried Eggs, the last few minutes of cooking, in a nonstick skillet heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into pan. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or to desired doneness, turning if desired.
Prepare as directed except reduce rice to 1 1/2 cups and reduce chicken broth to 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Kale and Mushroom Paella)
- Per serving:
- 377 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 346 mg sodium ,
- 64 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.