Jumbo Marshmallow Treats
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of the pan. Lightly butter foil; set pan aside.
- In a heavy 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven melt butter over low heat. Stir in marshmallows. Heat and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Stir in marshmallow creme, vanilla, and salt until combined. Remove from heat. Reserve 1 cup of the marshmallow mixture. Add cereal to the remaining marshmallow mixture in the Dutch oven; stir gently to coat.
- Pour cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Using a buttered spatula or buttered waxed paper, press mixture firmly and evenly into pan. Spread the 1 cup reserved marshmallow mixture evenly over top of bars. Sprinkle with jimmies or colored sugar to completely cover. Place a piece of waxed paper on top of the bars. Cover with foil. Place another 13x9x2-pan on the foil and place several heavy items, such as cans or jars of food, in the pan to press the bars. Let stand overnight. Remove pan, foil, and waxed paper. Use foil to lift uncut bars out of pan. Place on a cutting board. Using a long buttered knife, cut into twelve bars.
From the Test Kitchen
Wrap bars individually in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Jumbo Chocolate-Dipped Marshmallow Treats:
Prepare bars as directed, except do not reserve the 1 cup marshmallow mixture. Stir the cereal into the entire amount of marshmallow creme in the Dutch oven. In a small heavy saucepan heat and stir 1 1/2 cups bittersweet or semisweet chocolate pieces and 6 ounces chocolate-flavor candy coating over low heat until melted and smooth. Cut bars as directed. Hold a treat by a corner and dip the opposite corner into chocolate mixture, letting excess drip back into the saucepan. Place on waxed paper. Add a decorative candy. Let stand until set.
Nutrition per serving: 718 calories, 5 g protein, 141 g carbohydrate, 17 g total fat (11 g sat. fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 36% Vitamin A, 26% Vitamin C, 372 mg sodium, 2% calcium, 73% iron
Jumbo Caramel-Pretzel Mallow Treats:
Prepare as directed, except working quickly, pour half of the cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Press mixture firmly and evenly into pan. Spread the reserved marshmallow mixture evenly over top. Drop spoonfuls of 1 cup high-quality caramel ice cream topping over bars; spread evenly. Arrange 2 cups miniature chocolate-coated pretzels over caramel sauce. Top with the remaining cereal mixture, pressing evenly into pan.
Nutrition per serving: 673 calories, 5 g protein, 149 g carbohydrate, 10 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 36% Vitamin A, 26% Vitamin C, 588 mg sodium, 4% calcium, 66% iron
Jumbo Peanut Butter and Chocolate Treats:
Prepare Jumbo Caramel-Pretzel Mallow Treats as directed, except omit the caramel topping and, instead, stir 1/2 cup peanut butter into the reserved marshmallow mixture. Spread peanut butter mixture evenly over top and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups chopped bittersweet chocolate and 3/4 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts. Top with the remaining cereal mixture, pressing evenly into pan.
Nutrition per serving: 754 calories, 10 g protein, 136 g carbohydrate, 22 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 36% Vitamin A, 26% Vitamin C, 421 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 75% iron
Nutrition Facts (Jumbo Marshmallow Treats)
- Per serving:
- 601 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 14 mg chol. ,
- 367 mg sodium ,
- 132 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 78 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.