Jota (Hearty White Bean, Sausage, and Sauerkraut Soup)
- Rinse and drain beans. Place in a large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Cover and let soak overnight. (Or, in a large saucepan combine beans and enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.) Drain and rinse beans.
- In the large saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook and stir until onion is tender. Add beans, ham hock, and bay leaves. Stir in broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Stir potatoes into bean mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes or until potatoes and beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook and stir sausage about 5 minutes or until browned, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Stir in sauerkraut, the 1/2 cup water, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to combine flavors and reduce liquid.
- Discard bay leaves and cinnamon. Remove ham hock; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Spoon 2 cups of the bean mixture into a blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Stir puree back into soup. Stir sauerkraut-sausage mixture into soup.
- Remove skin from ham hock and discard. Pull ham off bone; discard bone and shred or coarsely chop ham. Stir ham pieces into soup. Simmer until ham is heated through.
From the Test Kitchen
Jota is even better when reheated the second day.
If you prefer to use uncooked sweet Italian sausage links, cook the links in boiling water until done (an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F when inserted in centers of sausage links). Cool slightly. Slice links crosswise. Stir slices into sauerkraut mixture.
Nutrition Facts (Jota (Hearty White Bean, Sausage, and Sauerkraut Soup))
- Per serving:
- 554 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 12 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 96 mg chol. ,
- 984 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 9 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.