- Line seventy-two 1 3/4-inch muffins cups with paper bake cups; set aside. In a large bowl combine flour and ground hazelnuts.
- In a large bowl beat butter with a mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg until combined. Beat in flour with the mixer. If necessary, cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Press 1-inch balls of dough into the center of the paper bake cups. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each ball.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are firm and very light brown. Remove from oven. Let cool in pan for 3 minutes. Transfer paper bake cups to a wire rack and cool completely. Spoon desired flavors of jam into indentations. If desired, drizzle with Powdered Sugar Icing.
From the Test Kitchen
If you can't find blanched hazelnuts, toast 1/2 cup hazelnuts at 350 degrees F about 10 minutes or until skins begin to crack. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Rub hazelnuts vigorously in a clean towel to remove as much of the skin as you can.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Jelly-of-the-Month Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 37 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.