Jamaican Jerk Pickle Chips
- Thoroughly scrub cucumbers. Remove stems and blossoms; slice off blossom ends. Cut cucumbers into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- For spice bag, place the 1 stick cinnamon and 1 teaspoon allspice in the center of a double-thick, 6-inch square of 100%-cotton cheesecloth. Bring up the corners; tie closed with clean 100%-cotton kitchen string.
- In a heavy large stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick saucepan combine the water, white vinegar, cider or rice vinegar, honey, lime juice, pickling salt, and spice bag. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring gently to dissolve honey; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Pack cucumber slices loosely into seven hot sterilized pint canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Divide thyme sprigs, the 7 sticks cinnamon, the garlic slices, peppercorns, 1 teaspoon allspice, and the chile pepper slices among the jars. Remove spice bag from the hot vinegar mixture and discard. Pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumbers, maintaining the 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. Let stand at room temperature for 1 week before serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Before using pickling cucumbers, thoroughly scrub them with a soft vegetable brush in plenty of cold running water. Remove stems and blossoms; slice off blossom ends. Use a mandoline to create perfectly even cucumber slices. If pickling cucumbers are not available, use regular garden cucumbers. Do not use waxed cucumbers sold in supermarkets; these are typically used for salads and slicing.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Jamaican Jerk Pickle Chips )
- Per serving:
- 17 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 204 mg sodium ,
- 4 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.