Italian Sausage Grinders
- In a large saucepan cook the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain off fat. Stir in undrained diced tomatoes, undrained crushed tomatoes, the garlic, vinegar, basil, oregano, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion and sweet pepper in the hot oil over medium heat until tender. Set aside and keep warm.
- Preheat broiler. Place split rolls on a baking sheet. If desired, toast rolls. Spoon the meat mixture evenly on the bottom halves of rolls. Top with onion mixture. Top with cheese slices. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese melts and bubbles. Add tops of rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, but do not broil. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Wrap sandwiches with foil. Bake about 15 minutes or until heated through.
Pickled Pepper Sausage Grinders:
Prepare as directed, except omit onion, sweet pepper, and olive oil. Top meat mixture evenly with 1/2 cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained, and 1/2 cup bottled sliced banana or pepperoncini peppers, drained.
Per sandwich: 672 cal., 41 g total fat (21 g sat. fat), 96 mg chol., 2,339 mg sodium, 37 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 37 g pro.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Vegetable, 2 Starch, 4 High-Fat Meat, 1 1/2 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Italian Sausage Grinders)
- Per serving:
- 735 kcal ,
- 48 g fat
- (21 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 96 mg chol. ,
- 2121 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 37 g pro.