Iowa Corn Chowder With Crispy Bacon
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Crumble bacon.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic to drippings in Dutch oven. Cook about 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently. Add butter; stir until melted. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute more.
- Add next five ingredients (through pepper). Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes or until corn is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in half-and-half and milk. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Top servings with crumbled bacon.
From the Test Kitchen
To use fresh corn, cut kernels from eight ears of sweet corn at about half their depth. Using the back of a knife, scrape cobs catching liquid in the bowl. Prepare chowder as directed; adding corn and liquid in Step 3.
Nutrition Facts (Iowa Corn Chowder With Crispy Bacon)
- Per serving:
- 595 kcal ,
- 40 g fat
- (20 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 98 mg chol. ,
- 953 mg sodium ,
- 47 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 17 g pro.