Instant Pot Pho
- Preheat broiler. Rinse the beef bones and the brisket under cold water; set brisket aside. In a 15x10x1-inch baking pan arrrange beef bones, onion, ginger, and garlic. Broil about 6 inches from heat about 10 minutes or until charred all over, turning once.
- Meanwhile, set an electric 6-quart pressure cooker to saute mode. Add cinnamon, peppercorns, coriander seeds, star anise, and cardamom pod. Toast 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Once spices are fragrant, add charred bones and aromatics, brisket, water, fish sauce, salt, and sugar. Seal and cook at high pressure 30 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally.
- Remove lid. Carefully remove bones and brisket (discard bones; shred brisket and chill up to 4 days for another use). Strain the broth into a large saucepan; discard solids. Bring broth to boiling.
- Place cooked noodles in a large bowl. Top with raw steak slices. Ladle desired amount of hot broth*** over meat and noodles to cover (the heat of the broth will cook the meat). Cover and let stand until serving. Garnish with desired veggie topper and season to taste.
From the Test Kitchen
*For an easier way to flavor your both, you can use pho flavoring packets sold at your local Asian market. No need to toast, just add in pressure cooker the same time as the water.
**Freeze the sirloin for 30 minutes to make very thin slices easier.
***Store any remaining broth in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Instant Pot Pho)
- Per serving:
- 315 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 48 mg chol. ,
- 1193 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.