Mocha Fudge Swirl Ice Cream
- Prepare Hot Fudge Sauce, if desired. Cool to room temperature.
- In a medium saucepan combine eggs and milk. Stir in sugar, cocoa powder, and coffee crystals. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture coats a metal spoon (about 5 minutes). Stir in half-and-half or light cream. Cool.
- Freeze in 4- to 5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Remove ice cream paddle. Stir in 1 cup of the Hot Fudge Sauce or the ice cream topping just until swirled.
- Serve with additional Hot Fudge Sauce, if desired. Makes about 3 quarts (24 servings).
From the Test Kitchen
Homemade ice cream tastes better and melts more slowly if it is ripened before serving. To ripen ice cream in a traditional-style ice-cream freezer, after churning, remove the lid and dasher and cover the top of freezer can with waxed paper or foil. Plug the hole in the lid with a small piece of cloth; replace the lid. Pack the outer freezer bucket with enough ice and rock salt to cover the top of the freezer can, using 4 cups ice to 1 cup salt. Ripen about 4 hours. When using an ice-cream freezer with an insulated can, after churning, remove dasher; replace lid. Cover the lid with ice and cover with a towel. Ripen about 4 hours.
Prepare ice cream; transfer to freezer container. Seal,label, and freeze up to 2 weeks.
Hot Fudge Sauce
- In a small saucepan melt unsweetened chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder until nearly smooth. Stir in evaporated milk. Heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Mocha Fudge Swirl Ice Cream)
- Per serving:
- 127 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 40 mg chol. ,
- 44 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 3 g pro.