Huachibolas (Jam and Cream Cheese Rolls)
- In a small bowl stir together 1/4 cup of the flour, the water, and yeast. Let stand 20 minutes or until mixture starts to bubble.
- In a large bowl beat butter, 1/3 cup sugar, and 3/4 tsp. salt with a mixer on low to medium until fluffy. Beat in 1 cup of the flour. Add 3 of the eggs; beat on high 3 minutes. Beat in yeast mixture. Stir in remaining 2 1/4 cups flour until smooth. Transfer to a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 2 hours). Chill dough 6 hours. (Or omit 2-hour rising and chill dough up to 24 hours.)
- Let dough stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl beat cream cheese, 2 Tbsp. sugar, and dash salt on medium 3 minutes or until smooth.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch square. Cut into nine 4-inch squares. Spoon about 1 1/2 Tbsp. of the cream cheese mixture onto each square and top with about 2 tsp. jam. Bring edges of dough up over filling and pinch together to seal.
- Place rolls, seam sides down, 2 inches apart on a greased large baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat remaining egg with a fork and brush lightly over rolls. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Remove; cool rolls on a wire rack.
From the Test Kitchen
Combine 1 Tbsp. sugar and 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon.
Freeze cooled rolls in a labeled freezer bag or container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts (Huachibolas (Jam and Cream Cheese Rolls))
- Per serving:
- 455 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 126 mg chol. ,
- 383 mg sodium ,
- 63 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 21 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.