Hot Thai Sweet Potato-Pumpkin Butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes in a 15x10-inch baking pan; prick each several times with a fork. Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until very tender. Add Thai peppers to the baking pan the last 6 minutes of roasting time; roast until tender and lightly browned in spots. Let sweet potatoes cool. Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, discarding skins. Remove stems from peppers. Place sweet potato pulp and peppers in a food processor. Cover and process until very smooth. Measure 1 3/4 cups puree (save any remaining for another use.)
- In a 5-quart heavy pot combine sweet potato puree and the remaining ingredients. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until thickened and mixture mounds on a spoon, stirring frequently. (If mixture spatters, reduce heat.)
- Place pot of sweet potato-pumpkin butter in a sink filled with ice water; stir to cool. Ladle into clean, wide-top half-pint freezer containers, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and label. Store in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 6 months.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Scrub pumpkins thoroughly; cut into 5-inch square pieces, discarding stems. Remove seeds and fibrous strings. Arrange pumpkin pieces in a single layer, skin sides up, in a foil-lined shallow baking pan. Roast, covered, 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop pulp from rind. In a blender or food processor puree pulp, in batches, if necessary, until smooth. Place puree in a fine-mesh sieve lined with a double-thickness of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Let stand 1 hour to drain. Press lightly to remove any additional liquid; discard liquid. Transfer 1 3/4 cups puree to each of four pint freezer containers or quart-size freezer bags (squeeze air from bags and lay flat to freeze). Freeze up to 6 months. To use, thaw in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Hot Thai Sweet Potato-Pumpkin Butter)
- Per serving:
- 61 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 30 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.