Honey-Chipotle Barbecue Ribs
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Remove membrane from non-meaty side of ribs by loosening membrane at one end, holding with a paper towel, and pulling across the rib bones; discard membrane. Brush meaty side of ribs with adobo sauce. Sprinkle Mexican Rib Rub evenly over all sides of ribs; rub in with your fingers.
- Drain wood chips. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Sprinkle wood chips over coals. Place rack of ribs on grill rack over drip pan (cut rack of ribs to fit, if necessary). Cover; grill for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until ribs are tender, basting with Mop Sauce four times during the first 1-1/4 hours of grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Add wood chips according to manufacturer's directions. Grill as above.) Discard any remaining Mop Sauce. Serve ribs with Honey-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce.
Honey-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- In a medium saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender. Stir in tomato sauce, honey, vinegar, lime juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and chipotle chile peppers. Remove from heat; stir in tequila.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until sauce is desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
- In a small disposable foil pan combine Honey-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce, Mexican beer, and cider vinegar. Place pan on grill to keep warm. Add beer as necessary to keep Mop Sauce thin.
Mexican Rib Rub
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, ground chile pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, and oregano.
Nutrition Facts (Honey-Chipotle Barbecue Ribs)
- Per serving:
- 853 kcal ,
- 57 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 24 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 197 mg chol. ,
- 1382 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 23 g sugar ,
- 42 g pro.