Homemade Harissa Paste
- Place dried chile peppers in a large bowl. Pour enough boiling water over peppers to cover and let stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet heat caraway, coriander, and cumin seeds over medium heat 2 minutes or until toasted and aromatic, shaking skillet occasionally. Remove seeds from skillet; let cool. Grind seeds in a spice grinder or place in a resealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Drain peppers. Cover your hands with plastic or rubber gloves and remove stems, seeds, and membranes from peppers. Place peppers, ground or crushed seeds, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until smooth, adding water as needed to reach a smooth consistency.
From the Test Kitchen
Sweet Harissa Sauce
Replace chile peppers with 1 cup roasted red sweet peppers. Omit step 1. Makes 60 (1-tsp.) servings.
Per serving: 8 cal., 1 g fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 34 mg sodium, 0 g carb., 0 g fiber, 0 g pro.
Nutrition analysis per serving : same as above except 8 calories, 0 g carbohydrate, 1% Vitamin A, 4% Vitamin C
For a vegetable dip, stir 1 Tbsp. Homemade Harissa Paste into 1/2 cup ricotta cheese or plain Greek yogurt.
Nutrition Facts (Homemade Harissa Paste)
- Per serving:
- 12 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 34 mg sodium ,
- 1 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.