Homemade Gyros with Watermelon-Feta Salad
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a very large bowl combine ground lamb, onion, bacon, Italian seasoning, salt, cumin, and pepper. Place mixture, half at a time, in a food processor; process until a fine paste forms. Divide between two 8x4-inch loaf pans, pressing evenly.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until done (170 degrees F). Drain off fat. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cut loaves in half crosswise. If desired, serve one half-loaf right away (see tip, below). Cool the remaining half-loaves completely. Transfer each half-loaf to a freezer bag or container; seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw one half-loaf in the refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove from freezer bag and wrap in foil, leaving space for steam to build. Place in a shallow baking pan. Bake about 30 minutes or until heated through (165 degrees F). Cool slightly; cut into thin slices.
To make sandwiches:
- Using a vegetable peeler, cut cucumber lengthwise into thin ribbons. Spread flatbreads with yogurt. Arrange cucumber ribbons, meatloaf slices, and Watermelon-Feta Salad on half of each flatbread; fold in half.
From the Test Kitchen
Cool slightly; cut into thin slices. Continue as directed in Step 4.
- In a small bowl combine watermelon, cheese, onion, mint, lemon juice, and oil; toss gently to coat. Cover; refrigerate for up to 2 days. Makes 1 1/3 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Homemade Gyros with Watermelon-Feta Salad)
- Per serving:
- 466 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 64 mg chol. ,
- 741 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 26 g pro.