Homemade Green Bean Salad
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 2 1/2- to 3-quart au gratin or baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet cook beans in enough lightly salted boiling water to cover for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer beans to a large bowl of ice water to stop cooking; drain well.
- In the same skillet cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels to drain, reserving drippings. Finely crumble or chop pancetta; set aside.
- Meanwhile, add mushrooms, garlic, and thyme to drippings in skillet (if there aren't many drippings, you may need to add up to 1 tablespoon vegetable oil); cook and stir for 5 to 6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid has evaporated. Stir in pancetta, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add mushroom mixture to beans, tossing gently to combine.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add half-and-half all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Whisk in the cheese, the 1/8 teaspoon salt, and the 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat; stir in wine. Pour sauce over green bean mixture, stirring gently just until combined. Transfer green bean mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and beans are tender. Top with the French-fried onions during the last 5 minutes of baking (if using). Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir green bean mixture. Sprinkle with Crispy Shallots.
From the Test Kitchen
To Make Ahead:
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Transfer bean mixture to an airtight container; cover. Chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Continue as directed, except cover dish with foil. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover, bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or until beans are tender. Omit Crispy Shallots. Top with the canned French-fried onions; bake for 5 to 8 minutes more or until bubbly and beans are tender.
- If desired, preheat oven to 375 degrees . In a small saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Dip a small handful of sliced shallots in milk, letting excess drip off. Toss shallots in flour; shake off excess flour. Place coated shallots in hot oil. Cook about 2 minutes or until golden and slightly crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper towels to drain; if desired, sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat with remaining shallots, milk, and flour. If desired, line a baking sheet with foil; place shallots on prepared baking sheet. Reheat Crispy Shallots for 10 minutes before topping casserole.
Nutrition Facts (Homemade Green Bean Salad)
- Per serving:
- 449 kcal ,
- 24 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 49 mg chol. ,
- 613 mg sodium ,
- 50 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 12 g pro.