Homemade Dulce de Leche
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Transfer condensed milk to a 9x9-inch metal baking pan. Cover pan tightly with foil. Set covered baking pan in a large roasting pan. Carefully add boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the covered pan.
- Place roasting pan on center rack in oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel colored, checking water level halfway through (add more water to keep water halfway up pan). Carefully remove covered pan from roasting pan, transfer to a wire rack. Uncover pan and let cool.
- Transfer dulce de leche to an airtight container. Cover and chill up to 1 month.
From the Test Kitchen
Transfer dulce de leche to a small microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high for 30 to 45 seconds or until warm, stirring once.
Slow Cooker Directions:
Spoon the sweetened condensed milk evenly among 4 half-pint canning jars. Adjust lids and screw bands. Place in a 4-quart round slow cooker with straight sides. (For a 6-quart slow cooker, divide the milk among six 4-ounce canning jars.) Add water to cover jars by 1 inch. Cover and cook on low for 10 to 11 hours. Carefully remove jars to a wire rack or kitchen towel to cool (canning tongs work well here). Store jars in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. Warm before serving.
Orange Dulce de Leche:
Prepare as directed, except stir 2 teaspoons orange zest into milk before cooking.
Espresso Dulce de Leche:
Prepare as directed, except stir 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder into milk before cooking.
Chile Dulce de Leche:
Prepare as directed, except stir 1 teaspoon ground ancho or chipotle chile pepper into milk before cooking.
Cinnamon Dulce de Leche:
Prepare as directed, except stir 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon into milk before cooking.
Nutrition Facts (Homemade Dulce de Leche)
- Per serving:
- 106 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 11 mg chol. ,
- 42 mg sodium ,
- 18 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 18 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.