Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- In a large bowl, combine ground pork, sage, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix ingredients thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- To form patties, divide the meat mixture into six equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand into 3 1/2-inch wide patties.
- Heat an extra-large skillet over medium heat until hot. Place the patties in the skillet and cook about 8 minutes or until browned and 165 degrees F in the center, tuning once halfway through cooking. Serve hot.
From the Test Kitchen
Add 1/2 cup shredded peeled apple and 1/2 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds to the meat mixture.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 173 calories, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g total sugar, 1% Vitamin C
Substitute 1/3 cup finely diced onion for the onion powder and 2 garlic cloves, minced, for the garlic powder.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 171 calories, 2 g carbohydrate, 2% Vitamin C
Add 2 tablespoons maple syrup and a pinch of nutmeg. You can also add 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, if desired.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 185 calories, 5 g carbohydrate, 4 g total sugar
Add 3/4 cup chopped sauteed mushrooms (cook 1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms in 1 tablespoon hot olive oil) and 1/4 cup chopped roasted red sweet pepper to the meat mixture.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 195 calories, 2 g carbohydrate, 14 g total fat, 1 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 29% Vitamin AC 6% iron
Substitute ground turkey for the ground pork. Add 1/2 cup shredded peeled apple to the meat mixture.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 143 calories, 13 g protein, 2 g carbohydrate, 10 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 1 g total sugar, 2% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 332 mg sodium, 3% calcium, 7% iron
Nutrition Facts (Homemade Breakfast Sausage )
- Per serving:
- 168 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 343 mg sodium ,
- 1 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 14 g pro.