Herbed Basmati Rice-Vermicelli Pilaf
- In a large saucepan heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add rice, pasta, and onion; cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until pasta is lightly browned and onion is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Carefully add broth, the water, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender and broth is absorbed.
- Fluff rice mixture with a fork. Stir in parsley and thyme. If desired, gently stir in dried cranberries. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
To finely break the angel hair pasta, first use your hands to break 3 ounces pasta into short lengths into a heavy resealable plastic bag. Using the bottom of an unopened heavy can, crush the pasta into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces.
If you don't have dried cranberries on hand, try swapping in another kind of dried fruit. Snipped apricots, golden raisins, chopped dates, or tart cherries are all good choices.
Nutrition Facts (Herbed Basmati Rice-Vermicelli Pilaf)
- Per serving:
- 289 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 24 mg chol. ,
- 620 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.