Heart-Covered Candy Cane Cutouts
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, molasses, and vinegar until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 3 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 5-inch candy cane-shape cookie cutter, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Outline and flood cookies with glaze-consistency white Royal Icing. While white icing is still wet, use a decorating bag fitted with a small round tip to pipe sets of two side-by-side dots with glaze-consistency red-tinted Royal Icing. Drag a toothpick between each set of two dots to create a heart shape with a tail.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar. Add the water and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until icing is very stiff. If not using right away, cover bowl with a damp paper towel and cover paper towel with plastic wrap; chill for up to 48 hours.
From the Test Kitchen
Meringue powder is a mixture of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, and edible gums. Look for it in the baking aisle of your supermarket or at a specialty food store.
Nutrition Facts (Heart-Covered Candy Cane Cutouts)
- Per serving:
- 82 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 28 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.