- Line seventy-two 1 3/4-inch muffins cups with paper bake cups;** set aside. In a large bowl combine flour and ground hazelnuts.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour mixture until dough no longer sticks to fingers when handled. If necessary, cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Press 1-inch balls of dough into the center of the paper bake cups. Using your thumb, make an indentation in the center of each ball.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are firm and very light brown. Remove from oven. Let cool in pan for 3 minutes. Transfer paper bake cups to a wire rack and cool completely.
- If desired, spoon chocolate-hazelnut spread into a decorating bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe chocolate-hazelnut spread into each cookie indent.
From the Test Kitchen
If you can't find blanched hazelnuts, toast 1/2 cup hazelnuts at 350 degrees F about 10 minutes or until skins begin to crack. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Rub hazelnuts vigorously in a clean towel to remove as much of the skin as you can.
Or, if desired, grease and flour madeleine molds. Place a 1-inch ball of dough into each mold; press dough to form an even, very thin layer along bottom and up sides of mold, making sure no dough extends over edges of the mold. Bake as directed. Cool for 3 minutes in pan. Invert pan over a wire rack; tap gently on the bottom of molds to remove cookies. If desired, drizzle fluted backs of cookies with chocolate-hazelnut spread and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts, or spoon chocolate-hazelnut spread into the hollow side of each cookie and top with chopped hazelnuts.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Test Kitchen Tip
Nutrition Facts (Hazelnut Sandbakkelse)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 37 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.