- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets; set aside. In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Place eggs and egg yolks in the well and stir into the flour mixture. Add butter and, if desired, orange peel; stir until combined. Stir in hazelnuts (dough will be crumbly). Use your hands to knead the dough until it comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide into three equal portions. Shape each portion into a 14-inch-long roll. Place rolls about 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets; flatten rolls slightly until about 1 1/2 inches wide. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until firm and light brown. Remove from oven and place cookie sheets on wire racks; cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer rolls to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each roll diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over; bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until crisp and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 cup chopped almonds for the hazelnuts.
Prepare as directed, except substitute lemon peel for the orange peel and 1 cup chopped pistachios for the hazelnuts.
Prepare as directed except omit the orange peel and substitute 1/2 chopped cashews and 1/2 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate for the hazelnuts.
Nutrition Facts (Hazelnut Biscotti)
- Per serving:
- 45 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 12 mg chol. ,
- 40 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.