Recipes and Cooking Breakfast and Brunch Recipes Breakfast Potatoes Hash Browns O'Brien 2.0 (1) Add your rating & review By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on October 29, 2012 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Total Time: 45 mins Servings: 6 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 ¼ pound russet potatoes ¼ teaspoon salt ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper 1 - 2 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon butter ½ cup chopped red onion (1 small) ½ cup chopped red sweet pepper (1 small) ½ cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 small) 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage Directions Peel and coarsely shred potatoes. Place potatoes in a large bowl; add enough water to cover potatoes. Stir well. Drain in a colander set over the sink. Repeat rinsing and draining two or three times until water runs clear. Drain again, pressing out as much water as you can with a rubber spatula. Line a salad spinner with paper towels; add potatoes and spin.* Repeat, if necessary, until potatoes are dry. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper, tossing to combine. In a 10-inch nonstick skillet** heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and the butter over medium heat until butter foams. Add onion, sweet peppers, and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes or until tender. Add potatoes and sage to skillet, stirring to combine; spread into an even layer. Gently press with the back of a spatula to form a cake. Cook, without stirring, about 12 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and crisp. Invert a plate over the top of the skillet. Carefully invert the skillet to transfer the potatoes to the plate. If needed, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Using the plate, slide the potatoes back into the skillet, uncooked side down. Cook for 8 to 12 minutes more or until the bottom is golden brown. Hash Browns Carlos O'Brien: Prepare as directed, except substitute 1/4 cup chopped fresh Anaheim or poblano chile pepper*** for the green sweet pepper.Nutrition per serving: same as above, except 12% Vitamin A, 85% Vitamin C, 122 mg sodium *Tip: If desired, instead of using a salad spinner, potatoes can be dried by pressing the water out with a potato ricer or by patting the shredded potatoes dry with paper towels. **Tip: A skillet with sloping sides works particularly well. ***Tip: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 123 Calories 4g Fat 20g Carbs 2g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 6 Calories 123 % Daily Value * Total Fat 4g 5% Saturated Fat 2g 10% Cholesterol 5mg 2% Sodium 121mg 5% Total Carbohydrate 20g 7% Total Sugars 2g Protein 2g Vitamin C 44.9mg 225% Calcium 20.2mg 2% Iron 0.9mg 5% Potassium 474mg 10% Folate, total 24.2mcg Vitamin B-6 0.4mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.