Ham-Stuffed Scallops with Pea Succotash
- Thaw scallops, if frozen. Rinse scallops with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Make a pocket in each scallop by cutting horizontally from the thickest side almost to the opposite side. Pat again with paper towels to remove any moisture. Cut ham into 16 pieces. Place a piece of ham in each scallop. Brush scallops with oil. Sprinkle with the 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in corn, peas, and broth. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in tomatoes and cream. Cook and stir about 4 minutes more or until liquid is slightly thickened. Stir in tarragon and lemon peel. Season to taste with salt and additional pepper. Set aside.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place scallops on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes or until scallops are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling.
- To serve, divide vegetable mixture among four dinner plates. Top with scallops.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for dry-pack sea scallops at your seafood market or grocery store. They have a much better flavor than frozen scallops and those packed in brine.
Nutrition Facts (Ham-Stuffed Scallops with Pea Succotash)
- Per serving:
- 409 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 93 mg chol. ,
- 1210 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 31 g pro.