Ham and Potato Casserole
- Grease a 9 3/8x9 3/8x2 3/8-inch disposable foil pan (poultry pan); set aside. In a large skillet heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add sweet potato, onion, and garlic; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or just until sweet potato is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Stir in broth, sour cream, thyme, and pepper.
- In the prepared foil pan combine sweet potato mixture, hash brown potatoes, cheese, and ham. Thread tomatoes onto skewers,* allowing 1/4 inch between pieces.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals on one side of a covered grill. Place foil pan on grill rack over unheated side of grill, using a baking sheet to help transfer the pan if necessary for stability. Grill for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly, stirring occasionally. Add tomato skewers and green onions to the grill rack directly over coals for the last 1 to 2 minutes of grilling or until lightly browned, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-high. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.)
- To serve, garnish potato mixture with grilled tomatoes and green onions.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes; drain before using.
Nutrition Facts (Ham and Potato Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 388 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 77 mg chol. ,
- 754 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 14 g pro.
Patti Frost 966 Days Ago
It sounds delicious, but this was listed as "cooking for a crowd" and I don't consider 6 a crowd. We have a monthly potluck at the Firestation, so i need recipes that will REALLY feed a crowd. Yes, I know I can double or triple it, but you really shouldn't tease people with the "crowd" moniker.
Anonymous 1794 Days Ago
I would like directions for this that don't involve using a gas grill.